Why is my HP Printer Offline?
- The HP Printer tends to state offline error when the connection with the computer device is variable. Ensure that the printer is accessible.
- The printer and the computer need to be on the same Wi-Fi network connection. Check that the printer status is not fixed to Use Printer Offline.
Why does my HP printer keep going Offline?
Follow the list of reasons, to understand why the HP printer keeps going Offline.
- If there is an issue with the cable or network connection.
- The updated HP Printer driver may not be installed on the HP printer.
- There may be a paper jam, if you locate it gently remove the jammed paper.
- Check the HP Printer status. Make sure it’s not on Use the printer offline.
How to fix the HP Printer Offline Issue?
It is common for HP Printers to face Offline issues. This error may tend to occur when the Ink cartridges ink level is low or if a low-quality paper has been fed into the paper tray. Keeping a close eye on these aspects of the HP Printer can avoid the HP Printer Offline issue. Printer Offline Error on some instances occurs when the cables used to connect the device haven’t been fixed firmly.
Follow the steps in detail to help fix the HP Printer offline error.
Fix 1: Check Ink Cartridges and Paper Jam Issues
- Power up the HP Printer and make sure all the cables are firmly plugged into the respective slots.
- If you discover any loose connections, reconnect them firmly.
- Ensure that genuine quality paper is used and avoid overloading the paper tray.
- Check the printer thoroughly to locate any paper jams. Remove the jammed paper if any.
- Check the status of the Ink Cartridges. Refill ink if needed.
- Ensure that the computer and the HP printer are on the same network connection.
Fix 2: Check the Connections and Cables
- Check if the network connection is stable between the printer and the Windows/Mac device.
- Ensure that all the USB cables are firmly fixed.
- If the printer is functioning on a wireless connection, make sure that the router connection is strong.
- If you still find trouble with the HP printer then move on to the next step.
Fix 3: Use the HP Print and Scan Doctor
- Choose a strong browser to download the HP Print and Scan Doctor.
- Run the downloaded file on the Windows/Mac device.
- Now get going with the HP Print and Scan Doctor by tapping on the Start button.
- Find your HP printer model from the list available.
- Make use of the Fix printing link to start the repairing process.
Fix 4: Set the HP Printer Manually to Online Mode
Follow the instructions below to change the HP printer status to online mode, manually.
- Start by clicking on the Start
- On the control panel, select the option Devices and Printers.
- Now select the desired printer model and open the queue.
- Under printer, ensure Use Printer Offline is not checked in.
- If it is, then change it to printer online mode.
Fix 5: Deactivate the Automated Offline Commands
- Start by clicking on the Start
- Locate the Control panel and click on it.
- Continue by choosing the Devices and Printers
- Now click on your HP printer’s icon.
- Tap on See what’s printing
- On the next page look for the printer icon and click on it.
- To remove any checkmarks click on Pause printing or Use HP printer offline.
Fix 6: Update the Firmware Version
- If you still notice the HP Printer offline error then it indicates that the firmware is of an old version.
- Check the status of the HP Printers firmware
- Ensure to update the HP printer’s firmware if needed from time to time.
Fix 7: Check the status of Windows Services and Printer Port
Eliminate HP printer offline error by checking the status of the Windows services and Printer port.
- Open up the Control Panel and choose View Devices and Printers.
- Now right tap on your HP printer device and then click on Printer Properties.
- Navigate through the Ports and identify if the WSD Port is being used. If yes, find the Services option.
- On the service list, open up Function Discovery Provider Host and Function Discovery Resource Publication.
- Ensure to check the status and Startup Type.
- If you notice that the Startup Type shows Automatic and the Status indicates running the go to Devices and Printers and tap on F5.
- Now choose the HP printer device name to identify the status.
- If you notice that the HP printer is active, then avoid the following steps. In case it isn’t actively follow the steps below.
- Visit the Wireless menu and print a Network Configuration Report.
- Now Right-tap on the device and choose
- Choose Add Port and click on Standard TCP/IP Port and select the new port
- Follow the instructions by the Network Configuration Report and shift back to Devices and Printers and tap on F5.
- By clicking on the HP printer name you can identify the status. At this point, the device won’t indicate hp printer says offline error
Fix 8: Manually Prepare IP Connection
Follow the instructions to manually help prepare IP Connection for your HP printer.
- Start by making sure that the HP Printer and the router are strongly connected.
- The Network Configuration Page needs to be printed by navigating through the control panel on the device. To establish the print copy enter Network Setup Menu or Network Settings.
- If the HP printer doesn’t have a display you can visit HP Customer Support and key in the printer model and then locate Printing Self- Test pages.
- Navigate through the Network configuration page and check the status for the wired and wireless
- When you discover that status shows ‘Connected’, locate the following; Subnet mask, IP Address, and Default Gateway. Depending on the connection type.
- If you notice IPv6 and IPv4, choose the option IPv4.
- Now it is vital to locate the EWS (Embedded Web Server’s). It can be more than one.
- Access a system that has a stable connection with the network.
- Rub the browser and enter the URL and tap on entering.
- At this point, EWS should get displayed, if it doesn’t then change the browser.
- Now select the Networking or network option on EWS and choose a connection type, wired or wireless.
- Choose IPv4 configuration based on the network option and click on Manual IP.
- Now choose the option Suggest a Manual IP Address and check Network Configuration Page and tap on Apply.
- Allow the device some time for the changes to be made.
- Now open Devices and Printers and Tap on F5.
- Finally, select the device name and check the status.
Fix 9: Connect your system to TCP or IP Port
The TCP or IP Port fix can be used to get the HP Printer from offline to online. To connect the system to TCP or IP Port, access the Printers & Scanners.
- Tap on the start button and locate Printers & Scanners. Look for the device name and choose Manage.
- Now open up Printer Properties and visit the Ports tab.
- Choose the option Add Port and continue by clicking on Standard TCP/IP Port.
- Select New Port and enter the IP Address of the respective device and press next.
- Finally, choose Standard TCP Port or the IP Port and select Ok.
Fix 10: Look for Wifi, USB, and Wired Connection
When you notice that the HP printer states always offline, it is vital to check WIFI, USB, and wired connection. If you discover an error or if the cables are not firmly fitted, then make relevant changes. At this point, the error should be rectified, if not then follow the next measure to help
Fix 11: Update HP Printer Driver
If you constantly face HP Printer offline errors. It is important to check the HP Printer driver. The printer driver enables access to newer and advanced features. It is always important to have the latest version driver on the device. Ensure to check the status of the printer driver at all times. Follow the steps below to help with the process.
- On the PC look for Device Manager and select the option.
- Tap on Printers.
- Locate your HP Printer model and right tap.
- Look for the Update Driver option and select it.
- Continue by choosing the option that says Search Automatically and letting the driver for the printer get updated.
- Finally, start over the PC and complete the process.
Fix 12: Check the Settings of Printer Spooler
Check the settings of the HP Printer Spooler if the HP printer is constantly stating printer offline error.
- Start by going to Run on the computer device.
- Key in Services msc in the Run and hit OK.
- Now look for Printer Spooler and Right-tap on the option and choose Stop.
- Now on the Windows File Explorer bar, key in C:\\windows\\system32\spool\printer and Tap on OK.
- On the printer folder, remove files and this action will delete the print queue.
- Now open the Print Spooler again and right-click the start option.
- Finally, restart the system.
How Do I Fix HP Printer Offline Error on Mac?
By resetting or reinstalling the device the HP Printer Offline Error on Mac should be rectified. You can also try the HP Smart Diagnose & Fix feature or you can disconnect all connections and try resetting the printer again. This should help solve the issue. For detailed instructions follow the steps below.
Fix 1: Reset and Reinstall to Fix HP Printer Offline Error on Mac
- Start by going to the menu on the Mac device and then choose the System preferences.
- Now open the Print & Scan option on the hardware section.
- Continue by pressing on Control and simultaneously clicking on the printer list.
- On the pop-up menu click the Reset Printing System option. With the help of a USB or Ethernet cable connect the printer to a stable network connection.
- Now tap on the Apple menu and click Software Update to help install the latest updates for your computer.
- Now select the Apple menu and click on System Preferences from the drop-down option and open Print &Scan. Select the + button and tap the lock icon on the screen.
- Continue by clicking on Add Printer or Scanner and selecting the HP Printer model from the list available and clicking on the Add option.
- Now, wait for the Mac OS to download and install the latest hp printer software and drivers for the HP Printer. This will resolve the HP Printer Offline Error on Mac.
Fix 2: HP Smart Diagnose & Fix on Mac
- Start by downloading the HP Smart App from the Mac App Store.
- Now Select Printers and choose Diagnose & Fix option.
- Continue by tapping on the start option.
- Keep it a few minutes to diagnose the error.
- Once the HP Smart Diagnosed the issue tap on done.
- Finally, run a few print tasks to confirm the rectification of the error.
Fix 3: Remove the HP Printer and Add it again to the Mac device
- Tap on the Apple icon on the Mac device and choose System Preferences.
- Now choose Printers & Scanners and click on the Print and Scan option.
- Now Select Print and Fax and highlight the printer that needs to remove and press the minus symbol.
- Select the Delete Printer option and then tap on the Plus symbol.
- Locate your device on the list and select it.
- Choose between ‘Print Using’ and ‘Use’ and click on AirPrint via the dropdown option and complete the process by pressing Add.
How to fix HP Printer Offline Error on Windows 7/8?
On Windows look for devices and continue by clicking on Devices and Printers from the available list on the screen. Now look for the name of your printer and right-click on it, ensure that its status is active and not listed out. Now set as Default Printer. Finally, assign a print task to confirm if the error has been rectified.
Fix 1: Set your printer as Default on Windows 7 and Windows 8
The printer normally tends to go offline on Windows 7 and 8, when the printer is not set as Default Printer. Follow the steps below to make changes to the settings.
- On the Windows system, locate Devices and Printers.
- Locate the HP Printer that is active and Right-click on the active device.
- At this point set the printer as Set as Default Printer.
- Complete the process by running a few test prints to ensure that the hp printer is offline no more.
How to fix HP Printer Offline Error on Windows 10?
The process to change HP Printer Offline Error on Windows 10 is simple. By resetting or reinstalling the device the error should be fixed, if it still doesn’t then you can manually fix the error with the hassle-free illustrations below.
Fix 1: Resetting and Reinstalling the HP Printer on Windows 10
- Start by locating Run on the device, you can either press or hold the windows button, by simultaneously accessing the R key on the keyboard, or you can type Run in the search bar next to the windows icon.
- Now type msc in the Run dialogue box and tap Enter.
- Continue by right-clicking on the HP Printer and then tap on Uninstall option from the available options.
- Now navigate through the Devices and Printers option and click on Add a printer option.
- Now add the HP Printer Driver again on the Windows 10 system.
- Finally, reboot the system and ensure to check if the HP Printer offline issue has been rectified.
Fix 2: Manually Set Default Printer on Windows 10
If you notice that the HP Printers keeps going offline unusually while being connected to Windows 10, then it is advisable to manually set the printer as Default Printer. Read through the quick steps below to understand how to make changes to the settings and to set the printer as the default printer.
- Start by visiting Devices and continue by locating the Printers & Scanners
- Now select the relevant Windows 10 printer and choose Manage.
- Now select the option that says Set as default printer.
- Wait for the HP printer to get back online.
- If you notice that the hp printer is still offline then, unplug it and remove all connections to the computer.
- Give it a few minutes and reconnect the printer and the computer back again.
- Finally, after the system comes on, restart the Windows 10 computer or laptop.
How do I Stop my HP Printer from going Offline?
To help you understand better we have attached a pictorial representation of a set of instructions. Follow them to understand better. Once the steps are complete and procedures are followed you will be able to bring the HP Printer back from offline to online.